I turned a whopping 38 on Sunday. 38!!!! How can I be that old? Shouldn't I feel more mature? more like I have it together and know where I am going?
Anyway - my birthday fell on a Sunday and the afternoon game was a Cowboys-Bengals game at home in Dallas. I decided to throw myself a party in honor of the event. A football party for my 38th birthday didn't really seem to warrant any kind of printed invitation so I opted for the eVite. As my birthday drew nearer and nearer I still only had one "yes" RSVP. Being as pathetically desperate for friends as I am, I sent out a reminder email and let people know they weren't required to actually watch the game and there would be free food available. Yeah, it was tacky, I know. Yeah, it was pretty much just barely a step above begging people to show up. And the sad part? all it got me was two "maybes"
But - The day of the party, the two "maybes" became "yes's" and then one gal called 20 minutes before kick off to ask if the party was today and if it was could she and her family come. It was all I could do not to scream "YES!!!!! PLEASE COME PLEASE!!!!" Funny thing is, the one original "yes" RSVP ended up not coming.
Anyway, I was happy. I had people in my house. I got to set out crackers and cheese and chips and dip. I got to use my serving plate and cute bowls from Crate and Barrel. But that is where the fancy-schmancy-ness stops my friends. Our beverages? Beer and margaritas. Well, hold on, maybe we were still a tad fancy - the beer was Heineken, dispensed from the oh-so-cool Beer Tender from Williams-Sonoma. And the margaritas were made with Shiner, which is pretty much on par with imported beer up here, and they were made in my oh-so-cool Kitchen Aid blender. The beer was served in tall beer glasses, like a pilsner but taller. And the margaritas were served in my cool blue margarita glasses from Pier 1. So maybe I'm not as low rent as I thought ...... Ok - but the main course was pizza. I didn't feel like cooking and since the grill was smashed to bits during the wind storm, grilling anything was pretty much out.
But here is where we border on white trash my friends - near the end of the party - Amy tripped and fell while running in the backyard. I thought she had certainly injured herself but thought it was most likely a sprain. However, when she was still crying at 9pm and when she tossed and turned all night and when her arm was swollen to twice it's normal size the next morning - we knew it was more than a sprain. More on that outcome in the next post. But in short - my kid broke her arm while playing unsupervised in the backyard.
And this is where I truly sink to white trash ....can't even believe I am actually putting this in the blog - if David reads this he will absolutely die! oh well - here goes ....
After the kids were in bed David and I sat down to watch more football and ended up "celebrating" my birthday further, as couples sometimes do - - - And afterwards, we actually turned the game back on and sat back on the couch and each ate a slice of my birthday cake (which was from Wal-Mart, by the way) and continued to watch Sunday night Football. Oh yeah - we live quite the high life here in Liberty Township, Ohio!
1 comment:
LMAO! Your brother is totally skeeved out now and is requesting a new couch or a towel to sit on when we come back up to visit! :)
Post a Comment