Can I tell you how READY I am for summer. Not only the weather but also the lax schedule. Audrey and I are usually finishing homework at the breakfast table and poor Amy has been late to pre-school so often lately and then I am getting there just in the nick of time to pick her up. Monday I was actually flying in 3 minutes late, hair sopping wet from the shower and no make-up whatsoever. I know, those of you who know me are thinking, wet hair? no make-up? Kirsten, isn't that the norm for you. First - HA HA you are sooooo funny and Second-here it is not the norm for me - darn peer pressure - all the other moms here wear make-up allllll the time so I try to at least get on some powder and lipstick. UGH! Their shoes match their outfits, their hair is styled - it is rough for poor old slacker mom me!!!
So here is a thought I have been pondering lately. I feel as though the older I am getting the more I am becoming a Bible Thumping Hippie. Is that possible? I now own reusable grocery bags. I buy organic this and organic that whenever David isn't looking (he still can't get over the price) I am trying to move us more and more away from the processed foods I so dearly love. I am shopping for "green" cleaning products. BUT I am totally sold on this American Heritage Girls club, my iPod has more Christian music tracks than any other category, I am becoming more and more invloved with things at church, AND I am actually looking at buying HOMESCHOOL curriculum!!!! Now wait, I haven't totally gone nutters. I am not considering homeschooling - I am just looking for something to help give a little smidgen of structure to our lazy summer days. Plus, I also want to give Amy a little boost and give Audrey some enrichment. But - what if this is the start - what if this is a like a gateway drug? Sure, I'll try homeschooling - but just a little, just for the summer, and not every day - only 3 well maybe 4 days a week. OK - if I post that I am yanking the kids from the public schools and that I am trying to get David to purchase a "homestead" for us so we can be totally independent and I start popping out one kid every other year because birth control and "denying my husband" are both satanic practices - then PLEASE - get here as fast as you can and knock some sense into me!
Back to reality ~ I am noticing how Audrey and Amy are so different from one another. Audrey is definitely academically gifted. (Although, she did not score all that well when she was tested. I spoke to the teacher and it seems Audrey was more interested in finishing first than she was in actually doing her best work) Amy is definitely gifted in the arts. She is such a good draw-er!!! (is that a word? well, it is now) And her little dance "review" came home today - her teacher suggested she be in level two for the fall semester but that she be in level three for the spring semester - Audrey just started level three this year - as a first grader! Now Amy is a fall birthday and Audrey is a spring birthday so there is that but still - I was so proud of Amy. They are as different as night and day in other areas too. Audrey is a total by the book, rule follower, a fact and detail oriented leader. BUT she can get so focused on the details that she misses the big picture - she can also act without quite thinking it all the way through. She knows the process and the results but she doesn't stop to think about the ripples. Audrey also doesn't care much for the opinions of others - she will do and say what she sees as right and woe to you if you dare to disagree. Amy, on the other hand, notices what others might miss, both literally and figuratively. If I am missing something - Amy is the one who will find it. If there is a slight oddity or nuance to something, Amy will pick up on it. And Amy, who is typically very laid back and easy going, especially compared to her strict, anal, perfectionist sister, does hold one thing to a high standard - it is decorum and composure at all costs for that sweet little girl! She will not flinch, she will not lose it, not in front of you that is - rather she will storm off or quietly slip away and then have her melt down in private.
What about Allison you say? Right now, Allison is making her presence known. She is putting her stamp on the world. She wants to be sure we all see her and recognize her and hear her thoughts. Her opinions are probably heard 'round the world. How so you ask? Well - just now she comes in here and says "MILK! MILK! MILK! I want milk!" I ask, "Where is it?" She says what is either, "It's done now" or "It is down now". I ask, "Is it in the basement?". She says, "Uh-huh" and nods. So I say, "Well then, go get it" to which she emphatically replies "NO!!!". Did I mention she turns two next month? Ahhhhhhh - thank the Lord above for wine and large wine glasses from which to drink it! Thanks be to God also that a local grocery store here sells the Macaroni Grill Chianti for $6 a bottle. Yep - that big ol' bottle they put on your table at the restaurant - $6. We typically have one open and two "in stock".
Time to get dinner going - not being at all green or healthy tonite - David is on 2nd shift for the month of May - need I say more? It is chicken nuggets and kraft mac-n-cheese tonight, McDonald's tomorrow and grilled cheese and french fries on Thursday. So yeah, not quite a card carrying hippie yet .......
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Girl, if you start homeschooling I will come up there and kick your ass. And no far telling me you are going to do it just to get me to come up for a visit!!
:-)
Post a Comment