Thursday, May 8, 2008

Learning to Speak Allison-ese

She is talking and talking so much these days. (and often quite loudly) As with any toddler - you sometimes need an Allison-English translation. Here are a few examples:
Santa - This can mean Santa OR it can also mean Jesus or any other male figure dressed in Bible-Times-ish clothing - like my St Francis statue/birdfeeder.
LaLa - I finally figured this one out! It means "chocolate" as in chocolate milk. She kept asking for milk and then asking for "lala" and getting so frustrated with me when I did not deliver. Then one day as we pass the Starbucks in the grocery store she starts asking for "lala". I kept thinking - "What in the world have I ever bought for her at Starbucks that sounds like 'lala'?" And then it clicked! If we are shopping during snack time or cutting it awfully close to lunch time I will stop off at Satrbucks and let her have a boxed milk drink and alot of times, chocolate is the only option.
D-Jean - so apparently I have called my dear, sweet, precious older daughter by her her 1st and middle name quite often in Allison's short lifetime. Allison tries to call her big sister Audrey Jean but it comes out D-Jean.
Moo - this is basically any four legged farm animal. Cows of course but it can also be horses and sheep. And if you ask her what a Moo says - she tells you "baa-aa-aa-aa".
Cook - this means she would like silverware - usually a spoon but I do on occasion give her a toddler fork. I am guessing she calls silverware "cook" because when she plays with the play dishes and she is pretending to stir something I ask her "Are you cooking?" Or it could be that she is trying to say fork but it comes out sounding like cook.
Cue - this means you are in her way. I would love to say she is attempting to say "excuse me" but I think she is really just trying to tell you to "scoot".

My baby is growing up so fast! Can you believe she will be 2 soon? Only one more month! We put the bedrail up on her twin bed and I might let her try it out for naps this weekend. She climbs into her carseat on her own now and tries to do the buckles by herself. She brushes her own teeth. Before you know it I will have all "kids" and not a baby, toddler or pre-schooler among them!

No comments: