Ok - to those of you who have figured out the male mind KUUUUU - DOS!!!! I myself am eternally stumped. We bought a kitchen table over a year ago. Way back when we were still in Austin and I knew baby #3 was on the way I started saying we needed a new kitchen table. Our table sat 4 people and we were going to become a family of 5, etc, etc, etc ... BTW-That "
baby #3"? she'll be
two in about 2 weeks. Anyway - I find plenty of inexpensive tables during our lengthy search and yet somehow we end up at
Verbargs , a high end store. The table DAVID selects is
handmade by the store owner's son-in-law. This store also happens to be "Cincinnati's exclusive Stickley dealer" - David loves
Stickley but it is so out of our price range --- or so I thought. Fast forward to this year. Back in the fall David asks if he can purchase a gun and I say yes but only on the condition that I get my kitchen chairs. What you say? You bought the table last year? didn't you get chairs with it then? --- no --- The chairs I wanted don't exist, they needed to be custom made. With the table being so expensive, we couldn't get the chairs. I was happy to get the chairs custom made elsewhere, by one of the many Amish places around here or to get them from the unfinished furniture store and finish them myself. But they had chairs at Verbargs that were so pretty, so well made and so comfortable. The chairs are made by
Nichols and Stone , apparently another high end name, GREAT! and they could be custom finished to look the way I wanted but at a price, of course. Anyway, the Spring bonus comes and goes, no chairs. Economic Stimulus check comes and goes - no chairs. As Memorial Day Weekend approaches, I hit the Verbargs website and notice they are having a sale. David is off on Friday so after hitting the gym, I come home and ask - "When are we going to Verbargs?" To my amazement, we actually go! AND -
not only do we order the chairs

(mine will have this finish on the seat but will be distressed white for the back and the legs, so simple and yet NO ONE has them "ready-made")
but we also order a STICKLEY side table

and walk out with a beautiful but $$$ lamp as well! (the side table will go next to the red sofa in the living room, the lamp will go on it) All we have at the moment is the lamp, the table and the chairs will be ready for us to pick up from the warehouse in roughly 6 weeks. The lamp is pretty, the side table is exquisite BUT I cannot wait to get the chairs! I have been living with the 4 old, well-worn chairs from our old kitchen table plus one chair dragged in from the dining room for Allison (her booster is attached).
And as if all the crazy furniture shopping weren't enough - My Mr. Man spends the first part of the first day of this holiday weekend finishing up a paint job in the half bath that has been undergoing a makeover since LAST July and then he proceeds to do all sorts of yard work AND still makes an awesome dinner as well as a pitcher of Margaritas to go with it. WOW, you say, there must be a catch somewhere. Well, what can I say - the poor boy passed out in our bed before even Allison was asleep and has yet to wake up .... Oh well, we can't have it all .....
No comments:
Post a Comment