And so it begins .......Tuesday was Audrey's first visit to the orthdontist and I'm sure there will be many more to come. Poor baby - Her top teeth are jutting out and her back teeth are angling in. Audrey has always had a slight speech impediment but every teacher she has ever had has told me "she'll outgrow it". When I asked her pediatrician about it back in Austin, he assured me she would outgrow it. She is in 2nd grade now and after a few weeks of school, her teacher called to ask me if anyone had ever talked to me about Audrey's lisp. Finally - someone who didn't tell me "she'll outgrow it". Audrey started meeting with the school speech therapist once a week. When I met with her on conference night, I asked if she thought the speech issue was related to the poor positioning of Audrey's teeth. She said most definitely yes. I had already obtained a referral for an ortho from the dentist this summer so I called the ortho and made an appt for Audrey. The orthodontist told me with her teeth positioned the way they are, Audrey cannot physically make some sounds the correct way. Poor thing! So ....... we're looking at retainers for now and braces when she is around 13 or so to the tune of $4800 when it's all said and done. Oh joy ..... We go back in January for a consultation, then she'll go in and get the impressions of her teeth made. They'll send those out to get the actual retainer made and she'll probably have it by her birthday. Just what every 8 year old wants right?
No comments:
Post a Comment