Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Why I am Sore Today

Ok - so I tend to think of myself as somewhat of a gardener/landscaper. I love being outdoors and I love clearing, trimming, and creating with existing plants. I love planting and tending new plants. I have been known to work out stress and frustration by hacking away at shrubs. I am continuously ripping out and transplanting or getting rid of plants in this yard. Soooo - I felt a challenge had been issued when I noticed that the people who own the field we back up on had done some clearing of the pesky brush that springs eternal along the fence line. I do try to keep this jumble of bushes and weeds at bay but I will confess that I have let it slide this summer. So when I noticed the pile of trimmings on their side of the fence and saw that some had fallen over into our yard as well, I could barely contain myself. Yesterday the weather was pleasant and I was not scheduled to teach. So as soon as Allison was down for her nap, I headed to the back fence with trimmers and garbage bins and bags. Two and a half hours later, here is what I cleared:

The fence was pretty much covered with bushes and vines before. One section of vine had even gotten up into one of the peach trees and was so entwined with the branches, I had to trim them off the tree. I also managed to get tangled up in a shrub that has huge spikes for thorns. OUCH! Now most of it is gone and we can once again see through to the pretty evergreens. Some I was unable to get at because it either grows more on the other side of the fence or because it is so entangled in the fence itself I couldn't cut it. Here is the pile of trimmings I hauled up to the curb for trash collection:

Two trash cans, three yard bags, and one pile bundled and tied with twine. Today, I am hoping to "paint" the stumps and remaining shrubs and vines with some "Brush-B-Gone" that I found in the garage. That is if I can move - my muscles are so very sore. I think Ibuprofen will be my buddy today. It's rough being old and out of shape ......

No comments: