Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Week one of our Homeschool experiment


So we are officially kicking off a full week of our homeschool/summer school this week. We are in day 2 and it is going pretty well. Not to toot my own horn or anything but - I have decided I am a pretty darn good lesson plan writer. I am contemplating making a public blog with my weekly plans on it. Oh - who am I kidding?!?! I don't even find time to update this one regularly so what makes me think I would update two of them? Oh well, it was a nice thought .....


So, each morning we head to the basement at 9. We set the calendar to the correct date and the correct day of the week. Then Audrey and Amy each complete a sheet that says:
Today is _ (day) _ , __(month)__ _(date)_ , 2008. The weather is ______________. Today I will _________________________ .
For the weather and what they will do today they can write or they can draw or they can do both. Next week I plan on adding to this with giving Audrey some grammar and giving Amy some phonics. Then they each get one worksheet from the phonics workbook I bought and one worksheet from the math workbook I bought. After those - I try to add something that goes with our theme. Right now the theme is friends. So yesterday they read "The Little Red Hen" with me and then did sequence cards to go with the story. Today we are attempting to make bread sticks - the dough is hopefully rising as I type. (for those of you who aren't up on your children's lit - the little red hen grows wheat and then harvests it, threshes it, and makes bread with it) Tomorrow I think we will read a book about two friends and then talk about what makes someone a friend. And Thursday I think we will read one more friend book and then I will have them pick a friend to write a letter to. (Audrey will write or type on her own - Amy can dictate to me). Friday is our "Field Trip Day" and I think we will deliver some clothes and toys and toiletries to Hope House, a local mission and then work on some cards for David for Father's Day.

No comments: