
It was a bumpy ride here last night. We had off and on rain all day, sometimes with thunder, but mostly just rain. A neighbor called twice to tell me there was a tornado watch. Then she called again as Amy and I were waiting for Audrey's bus to tell me the tornado sirens were going off at her husband's office and we should get in our basement. I wasn't all that worried. It wasn't looking all that bad and there was only a possibility of a tornado south of us. You know, that whole "conditions are favorable". BUT Amy is only 5. Amy heard my half of the conversation. Amy saw the storms on the computer when I logged on to check out the weather. And then - right at bed time it got truly nasty by us. It was time for the kids to go to bed but I got a phone call. It was one of those random survey things BUT it was regarding the way our school district spends their money. Since I feel they WASTE money, I wanted to make sure I did the survey. Well, while I was doing that, the movie the kids had been watching ended and it went to regular TV which was the news people breaking in with weather. There were storms everywhere and a tornado just north of us. Amy was glued to the TV and it scared her pretty bad. I tried to wrap up the phone call and get them in bed. A few minutes later Amy woke up crying and say she felt like she was going to throw up. poor thing was petrified. The lightning at this point was pretty bad and that wasn't helping. Allison was sound alseep in her crib but we put Audrey and Amy to bed in the guest room in the basement. With only those two small windows it was dark and David was on his computer in his office right outside that room so they felt safe. They were sound asleep in minutes. Around 9:30 our tornado sirens went off. I got Allison from the crib and brought her in the basement. David was on a conference call with Dell trying to coordinate safety measures there, I was watching the weather on the TV in the basement with Allison in my lap. Around 10 the danger passed - no tornado, not even high winds. I got Allison back to sleep in her crib and then later David and I each carried an older child back up to their repsective rooms and tucked them in. (MAN! are they ever heavy!!!) Today it looks like more storms. We've already had one round and there are more stacking up in Indiana. It's looking pretty grim for that pizza party at the pool this evening .......
No comments:
Post a Comment