Back when the Grammy Award Show was approaching I got to talking music with a friend. She was asking me if I had heard something on a local radio morning show and I felt compelled to justify why my answer was "no".
1) In this crazy place where elementary children don't start their school day until
9:30am and they bus
EVERYONE no matter how close you live to the school, I am pretty much never in the car when morning radio shows would be on. Now that it is winter I am driving them to school more often (I refuse to stand out there with them in the cold and I also refuse to let them stand out there by themselves) but even still - round trip to drop the older two at their respective schools only takes maybe 20 minutes. And
2) When we we do listen to music in the car, we pretty mush stick with the "Three C's" - Christian, country or classical. I started thinking about how we ended up so "conservative" (ooo-look! another C) in our music choices. Back when Audrey was around 2 1/2 - 3 years old, she started pretty much repeating anything and everything she heard. There were a few DJ's with more colorful language than I wanted coming out of my sweet daughter's mouth. And there were definitely more than a few less-than-desirable lyrics out there (even in the country songs). For a while it was pretty much strictly children's CD's whenever they were in the car with me - which, as a SAHM, was pretty much allllll the time. But a girl can only take so much Raffi, Wee Sing, and Laurie Berkner - ya' know?!?! So I tried out the Christian radio staions and I must say that Christian music has come a L-O-N-G way since the 80's. And I found country to be a pretty safe bet most of the time. And the classical - well, when you have a screaming infant in the car who falls asleep to a classical music CD every night, the classical music sattion can go a long way towards calming everyone's nerves. So after chatting with my friend and realizing I was pretty limited in my music these days I decided to give the local pop station she mentioned a try. Ya'll - I made it through about 1 1/2 songs before I went screaming back to my pre-sets. It's time to admit it - I am an old fart and I think "the music today" sucks and is no where near as it good as "the stuff we listened too". (did I mention that the only non-C station I listen to is called "Rewind 94" and they play "classic hits from the 80's and more" --- ARGH! just go ahead and sign me up for the old ladies club now!)
As if this music revelation weren't doing enough to make me feel old ....
I went up to the new outlet mall to return some stuff to Children's Place one morning when everyone was in school and decided to look around and see what else was there. I ended up in the NATURALIZER SHOE OUTLET and I WALKED OUT WITH TWO PAIRS OF SHOES. I immediately called my good friend Jerri in Austin and told her we needed to plan a Girls' Getaway STAT and it needed to be somewhere ultra chic and hip. She called back and let me know she was planning an intervention.
And here's the kicker - I kinda like the shoes and I really don't think they are all that bad. I have been wearing the brown ones quite a bit and I plan on wearing the black ones to church this Sunday .....
Take a look - tell me what you think - don't be afraid to be honest with me - I think I can take it
(
and if not, I'll just walk around my house muttering under my breath about how I don't care what you think and how they are comfortable and practical and how they go with everything and that's a good thing .....)
2 comments:
I can almost handle the black ones girl....but the brown...well my mom has a pair almost exactly like it and I call them her teacher shoes! :)
I still love you...I just need to help Jerri plan an intervention I think!!! ;-)
Does it make it any better that the brown ones only cost me 13 dollars?
Post a Comment