Saturday, January 2, 2010

Organizing and Cleaning in the New Year

So the other night I was watching a football game that turned boring (or so I thought, turns out it ended up being a nail biter and went in to overtime, but I digress ...)

I flipped channels and ended up watching that show "Hoarders". I had heard about it, I'd seen commercials but I'd never watched it. Just the thought of that much mess gave me the willies. I wasn't sure I could stomach watching it.

It's funny - I remember going rounds with my mom when I was a kid over my messy room. I remember her telling me I couldn't hold on to everything forever. And then - somewhere - I flipped to the other side. I became a total neat-freak there for a while. Now I'm not as neat-freakish. With a husband, three kids and a cat, I had to let go a little. BUT, I can still purge with the best of them and when I get going on cleaning something - you'd better stand back. I like to organize my messes. A labeled box for everything and everything in a labeled box. The Container Store is like a little bit of Heaven on Earth for me. And yes, there are those who would say I am just the slightest bit OCD .....

My husband is NOT this way. He stashes and stows and eventually goes through stuff looking for things and makes a huge mess which he then re-stashes and re-stows. It used to really get to me but I am learning to live with it.

Anyway, I told him about this "Hoarders" show I had watched and how I was so fascinated and yet repulsed all at once; I couldn't stop watching. I told him how they threw out 4,000 POUNDS of garbage from INSIDE HER HOUSE. I told him how they found TWO DEAD CATS buried under the garbage in her kitchen. It was so gross and she was LIVING IN IT!!!

Apparently my husband thought I was directing my comments at him. I swear I WASN'T. I was just telling him about this show. I was telling him that now I wasn't so upset that we threw out one bag of garbage from each of the older girls' rooms. I was saying maybe I should actually be thankful that it was only one bag and not thousands of pounds. But he is on a kick now. He is going through everything on his side of the storage room in the basement and he is getting rid of stuff right and left. And while I SWEAR I was NOT playing passive/aggressive wife when I told him about the show and it was NOT my intention to spur him on to this massive cleaning out .... I will say, I am kinda likin' it. He has cleaned out so much and now he is taking measurements and talking about building shelves! Woo Hoo!

*I have made major headway in cleaning out Audrey and Amy's rooms - just need to tackle the clothes next.
*It's the annual Elfa Sale at The Container Store and David says we can do our kitchen pantry and maybe the linen closet in the kids' bathroom as well.
*And now it looks like my storage room is gonna maybe get all organized in BOXES WITH LABELS on SHELVES even.

Ahh ---- I am one happy girl
(Remember, there are those who would say I am a little OCD. Things like this truly do make me so very happy .....)

I'll try to take some before during and after pics and get them on here ......

No comments: