Yeah - that's right I am declaring myself the Hostess with the Mostest - well, in my neighborhood at least. If I were up against some of my southern friends who were also trained in the fine art of hospitality, I might not come out on top .... but here in Yankee-land, I say I reign supreme.
Last night it was my turn to host the neighborhood mommy-happy-hour and it went very well. I was so very pleased with how it all turned out. My rockin' hubby brought home the flowers pictured at the top. AND he took the kids to McDonald's for dinner so I could get all the food stuff prepped and out. AND he went to Kroger after McDonald's and picked up some lime juice for me since I didn't buy the right amount for my Sangria. He hooked up the Heineken mini-keg in the beer tender. He took the kids upstairs at 7:30 and kept them up there. He made sure the older two took showers, he bathed the little one, he got everyone in bed and there were no tears, no screams - well, none that we heard anyway. He ROCKS I tell you!!!
We had plenty of yummy chips and dip - most of which went untouched but that's OK, there are playoffs this weekend. I made a pitcher of Margaritas on the Rocks which was OK. But I also made a "vat" of Sangria which was a HUGE hit. BIG thanks to Jerri for that recipe. The party started at 8 and we had a good crowd by 9. The first to leave left around 10:30 and the last gal left at 11:45. I am beat! but it was worth it. A good time was had by all.
It's so funny with parties - no matter what you do - everyone congregates in the kitchen. For the longest time everyone stood around my kitchen island. My island is NOT big. It is not one you could add a breakfast bar to. Look at it - it's tiny! And there were about 15 women crowded around this:
There wasn't even any food on the island. But then the margaritas and the beer were there - maybe that was the draw ..... RIGHT NEXT to the kitchen is my huge formal living/dining room. I had most of the food on the dining table hoping to lure people in there. I had all the lights on and candles lit....
Eventually people did move in there but no one ever sat down. I have been to two other mommy-happy-hours here and no one ever sits down. I don't get it. It is always on a weeknight. They start at 8pm. I know I am tired - aren't the other moms tired? Why don't they sit? I pulled all the chairs away from the dining table to make it easier to get to the food and still, no one sat. We have a really comfy sofa in there and three leather chairs ...... I don't get it. Maybe it's a yankee thing ......
But everyone had a blast - and already two moms have told me they are slightly hung over and very tired this morning. I myself would curl up in bed and sleep the rest of the day away if I didn't have Allison to look after.
Oh - and here's the sangria recipe I used - It is quite yummy. In fact, I have a pitcher left and anyone is more than welcome to come over for a glass .... or 2 ....or 3 (if you're not driving soon after)
12 oz. Burgundy wine
6 oz. lime juice
6 oz. simple syrup
8 oz. club soda
sliced oranges and limes
I quadrupled this recipe for the party - probably could have just doubled it but ...... And maybe I was off in my math - The wine bottle was metric and I was trying to figure out oz and ml. Math is NOT my best subject but it looked like one bottle of wine is 24 oz and I used 2 bottles of a Merlot.
No comments:
Post a Comment