Monday, April 20, 2009

I am still here ... really I am ....

Ok - I know - it has been a long time since I have been on here. It's been busy around here - Spring Break, Roofers w/estimates, Easter and potty training. Whoo hoo - I live a whirlwind life I tell you.

Spring Break was better than I thought it would be. I wanted to take a short 2-3 day trip but the plans just never materialized. (Probably because I don't have a personal assistant and/or travel agency at my beck and call ... gotta see what I can do about that ....) Plus our Spring Break was the week before Easter this year so I wanted to be back here in time for that, I didn't really relish the idea of Easter Sunday at a hotel or rolling in to town Saturday afternoon or evening and then trying to prep everything for Sunday. Sooo - here's what we did instead:
Monday - Yucky, blucky rain with a little sleet mixed in was falling so we loaded up with snacks and drinks and hopped in the car and headed to Boonshoft Museum of Discovery in Dayton (about a 30-35 minute drive). This is their Children's Museum and it is included in the membership my dad gave us for Christmas so it was free. We got there around 11:30 and we stayed until 2. The kids had a blast.
Tuesday - Roofer here at 9:30 for an estimate and then Amy had dance at 9:45. She was a little late for dance but I took her anyway b/c she had missed last week when Audrey was home with a fever. Tuesday the rain/sleet had turned to SNOW! I was in a bear of a mood thanks to the snow so after dance class we just came home and hung out at the house.
Wednesday: Audrey was invited to play at Abbie's house. Abbie is the daughter of Audrey's teacher. Abbie has a sister in Kindergarten named Emma. When we got there they invited Amy to stay and then the mom and I got to talking and Allison trotted off after the older two and next thing you know it was 2:30! I really like Audrey's teacher, she seems to be on the same page as me on alot of things. But it brings up an interesting bit of trivia. The majority of the moms that I get along with best here are Catholic and then either a teacher or a nurse. Don't you think that's odd? The teacher/nurse thing I can see - I was/am a teacher, nurses do a fair amount of teaching, both are "nurturing" type professions .... But why do you suppose I get along with the Catholics more than I do with the protestants? What is that connection all about? Until now pretty much the only Catholic friend I had was Dolores.
But I digress
Thursday: The weather was actually GORGEOUS and we thought about going to the zoo BUT I knew it was going to rain all day Friday and I still had to go to Honey Baked Hams and get our ham and our side dishes for Sunday. Since I really didn't feel like going in the rain and I was pretty sure I didn't want to deal with a packed store on Saturday we went out there on Thursday with the promise that I would call around the neighborhood after we got home and find them a friend to play with. Honey Baked Hams is by the mall with the "good" stores so we went in and shopped a little before we went to pick up the ham. Got some great deals at Children's Place on clothes for Audrey and two pair of sunglasses for Amy. Then I found a GREAT skirt for myself at J. Jill. When we got home we had another roofer coming at 2:30 for yet another estimate and then a lady was coming at 2:45 (but she showed up at 3:00) to buy the old big wheel/trike I had posted on Craig's list. After all that I got Allison down for a very late nap and then called around to find a playmate for the other two but no one was available. RATS! However, after dinner one friend called back and the girls went over there for an hour or so. WHEW - mutiny avoided!
Friday it was rainy as predicted BUT David had the day off so we drove up to Columbus to try out their Children's Museum, COSI. Ummm .. it was Good Friday, it was raining, almost every kid was out of school .... yeah, what were we THINKING?!?!?! It was PACKED! Oh well - It was free admission and the kids had fun and that's all that really matters in the end right?
Saturday was nice and David and the girls got our garden plants started in small pots for now (so we can bring them in at night 'cuz it's still that cold here!) and we played outside most of the day.
Sunday was Easter and it was nice. I think the kids were a little disappointed with their gifts but ... it was hard to get any shopping done since they were home from school and really, Easter gifts should be small. It's not my fault some of the other parents go completely overboard!!! And I was trying to keep the candy to a minimum which was good for my waistline but didn't go over so well with everyone else ....
Here are our pictures from Spring Break and Easter

And potty training - I think we are actually making progress. After Easter I told her diapers are only for nap time and bed time. Plus I started putting her on the potty more often, even if she said she didn't need to go. Today is Monday the 20th and she is doing really well. The last few days she stays dry almost all day and she has even started using public restrooms. YEA! A light at the end of the tunnel .... eventually my days will once more be diaper free ......

So that's where I've been ..... Of course I think Jessica and Elizabeth are the only people who read this and Jessica knew most of this already and Elizabeth is in India visiting family ... But if by chance there are any other followers out there and you've been wondering where I've been ... now you know :)

2 comments:

lovetoread said...

Being a mom is tough, but sounds like you're doing a good job of it. Please keep on writing. You do it well.

Kirsten said...

Thanks "lovetoread" !