Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Best of Intentions

Here is just a perfect example of how my life seems to go:

Sunday morning I get dressed for church and dare to put on a skirt that I love but have not worn in about a year because I just knew it wouldn't fit like it should. Guess what? It didn't fit like it should, even with the oh-so-loverly "shape-wear" on underneath.

Sunday afternoon I go to Sams and I am still feeling ick about the skirt so I stroll down the "drug" aisle and I do it - I buy a diet supplement. I bought the "Slimquick Weight-Loss Jump Start Kit". It comes with a bottle of Slimquick cleanse which you use for 7 days and then a bottle of Slimquick weight-loss supplement caplets. I get out the stuff and I read through everything. Ummmm - yeah - if I just stuck to their meal plan and exercise plan, I'd loose weight without ever even opening up the bottles of supplements. I'm supposed to be doing 45-60 minutes of cardio every other day with about 10-20 minutes of strength training after each cardio session. The meal plan is fish, chicken, pork and raw veggies totaling about 1200 calories a day. So working out for an hour or more every other day just ain't gonna happen my friends - I can barely squeeze in my 40-45 minutes 3-4 days a week now. And if I had the will power to limit myself to 1200 calories of fish, pork, chicken and veggies every day, I probably wouldn't need any diet supplements!!!!

But that's ok - I figure I'll stick as close to the plan as I can. I'll shoot for more exercise, I'll shoot to boost my water intake from 40 oz to something closer to 60 oz. I'll get some carrot sticks, some celery, some apples ..... I'll ban taco chips and cookies from the house.

Monday morning I am dead to the world. I was up late, Allison was up twice coughing, I do not wake up with the alarm at 6:15, I do not work out. But I do pretty good with the food and water. Not great but better than most days. I am feeling a shift in the right direction. Then comes Monday evening ....

We have AHG from 4:30-6 and my Kindergarten squad is in charge of opening and closing flag ceremony. Allison wakes from nap sounding and looking AWFUL. But it's 3:40, I have to pick Amy up from school, I have to show for the meeting, we're in charge of flag ceremony! So we go - I keep Allison with me instead of sending her to childcare. The entire time she looks at me with her red swollen eyes and her runny nose and asks in between coughs if we can go home now. There is a meeting for those of us attending Camporee after the regular meeting and Audrey's squad is on a field trip and won't be back until late. The Camporee meeting goes OK but Debi calls from the field trip; they are running late and they won't be back until maybe 7. So at 6:50 I take Debi's daughter Madison home with me. Debi arrives to drop off Audrey and pick up Madison around 7:30. We still haven't had dinner - I am STARVING. But I am good - I eat a salad. A rather large salad but a salad none-the-less. By this time Allison sounds awful. David volunteers to go get some vapo steam for me as he is now convinced that there is going to be a major shortage of ammo soon and he'd better get out there and stock up on what's left. Yep - that's my husband - he goes out for bullets and vapo steam ......

While David is gone I get all 3 kids bathed and in jammies - Allison is sounding and looking worse. Her chest is so congested and she is struggling to breathe. She sounds like a life-long smoker. I have now given her Robitussin, Sudafed, and Tylenol. I am trying to rock her to sleep and she upchucks everything. Ick! Gross! but I figure kinda good - maybe now she can breathe and go to sleep. 9:30 she is crying for some juice, I bring it to her and rock her once more. Around 11 I stumble in to bed. 1am she is up crying and coughing, I try to soothe her as best I can but I am worried. By 2:30 she is up again and she is really struggling to breathe. I start to LOOSE it. I bring in her to our bedroom so David can hear her. I am flipping out wondering if this is an asthma attack and if she is going to die b/c I am too stupid to know what an asthma attack sounds like. I ask David what he thinks, I ask if he thinks we should take her to the emergency room. HE AGREES THAT WE SHOULD. Oh Lordy - when the usually calm husband agrees with the hysterical wife it is NOT good. I call the on-call pediatrician. She talks to me, has me count Allison's breathing, she listens to Allison over the phone. She then tells me to get in a steamy shower with Allison and see if it helps. She tells me if we can't get Allison's breathing to slow down that we need to take her to the emergency room. I am pretty much over the edge now. So at about 3:30 this morning I am in a t-shirt in the shower with my 2 year old - fun times!

After the shower we get dried and dressed and David, Allison and I go downstairs to see what is on Noggin. It was Gullah Gullah Island - haven't seen that in forever! David of course has never seen it - he was a little weirded out. Around 6 I bring Allison back to bed with me and we crash until 7.

And now the REAL fun begins! It is Tuesday morning - Audrey has an ortho appt at 8:30, Amy has dance at 9:45 and I am going to have to call the ped as soon as they open at 8 and get an appt for Allison. I am trying to function on little to no sleep, wake sleeping kids, get everyone dressed for their appropriate activities, pack a lunch for Audrey .... THANKFULLY David stays home. I get a 9:30 appt for Allison. So David takes Audrey and Amy to Audrey's ortho appt, then takes Audrey to school, and then takes Amy to dance. Allison and I leave early for her appt and I go to Caribou and get myself a LARGE latte. LARGE - I never get a large coffee of any kind anywhere, but today I needed it.

The pediatrician is stumped. It sounds like allergies that have led to "croup" but maybe it's the beginning of asthma? But he's not totally sold that it's asthma, he thinks it's just really, really bad croup. So he gives me advice on medicine (Zyrtec and Sudafed regularly, Robitussin at nap and bedtime, run the vaporizer in her room) and also a prescription for an inhaler which I can fill if I think she needs it. If she has another bad night tonite, we are to call him in the morning and he will see her again and most likely write out a prescription for Prednisone

So yeah - the whole diet thing today? Not so great. But I did not get any yummy bakery treats when I was at Caribou even though they looked absoluetly divine. I have had 40 oz of water and I only snuck 2 tiny chocolate Easter eggs and hopefully I can stick with a Special K bar and yougurt for dinner .... However, I just re-read the instructions for the Slimquick Cleanse .... I thought I took one capsule at lunch and one capsule at bedtime. No. It's one serving but one serving is FOUR capsules!!!! OOOPS!!!!!

No comments: