
So we all have those moments don't we? Where you are with a group of people and something is mentioned, pointed out, referred to and you start to feel like you are the only one who did or the only one who didn't - the only one who has been there/done that or the only one who hasn't a clue. Well recently I got to experience that ...at a child's birthday party of all places.
Audrey was invited to a birthday party at a place called Monster Mini Golf. She was thrilled. All the girls in the class were invited and it was going to be the best birthday party ever! (turned out to be a good thing it was an indoor mini golf course as there was snow swirling as I dropped her off) When I went to pick her up they were still on the "course" so I walked on over and hung out with the other moms as the kids finished up. The inside of Monster Mini Golf is all done in black and neon colors and there are black lights galore making the place shine. Audrey had heard that if you wore white you would glow so we made sure to pick up a long sleeved white peasant top at Target that morning.
But here's what made me feel out of place. While I was chatting with the moms, waiting for the kids to finish the course, they seemed to be fascinated as the kids were with what glowed under the black light. The more they went on about this the more I started to feel like perhaps I was the only one who ever went "clubbing" back in the day .... Those of you who know me, know I was never quite the wild child I secretly longed to be. But still, I went to my share of clubs back in the late 80's early 90's and they pretty much ALL had black light. I remember tailoring my outfit around the effects of it a time or two. I remember learning that black light would show up every little speck of lint and dust on your black shirt. And yet these other moms seemed to be seeing it all for the first time. Were they putting on an act? Was there some sort of age difference at play? Did they go to college where there were no dance clubs? I don't know. What I do know is I kept my mouth shut and did not say "Yeah, don't you remember what it was like back when you went clubbing?" After all, one of the "other moms" at the party happened to be Audrey's teacher this year ......
No comments:
Post a Comment