Monday, December 29, 2008

Whine! Moan! Pout!

I am throwing myself a huge pity party right now and I am serving plenty of wine to go with my whine!

I have been really looking forward to tonite. We were supposed to be meeting at David's old boss' house, The Smythe's, for dinner. Them, us and a couple that did live here but got transferred to Austin - lucky THEM. Since they, the Cates family, are from Dayton they are here visiting family for the holidays. Christy, the wife is the one person I found here in Ohio that seemed the most like the friends I left behind in Texas. Her daughters, Tyler and Paige, are close in age to Audrey and Amy and they all get along really well. I have no friends here and I was really, really really looking forward to some social interaction tonight. But - it was cancelled at the last minute. Michael, Mr. Smythe, David's old boss, got called back in to work so the whole thing was called off. I wanted to try and call Brandon and Christy but I don't have anything other than their Austin number and David didn't seem very motivated to try and find Brandon's cell phone number. So here I sit. I have two pans of cornbread I made FROM SCRATCH as my contribution towards our chili dinner. I have nothing thawed or prepared for any kind of main course. I have 2 very disappointed older children and one wound up toddler who were all expecting a small party this evening and who are now driving me batty. I am working myself into one royally grumpy mood here.

I have tried so hard to not fall in to my usual winter depression. I have tried to find the silver lining everywhere I can. I force myself outdoors whenever possible. If there is the slightest glimmer of sunshine in the sky - every window blind in this house is open. I have participated in and signed up for pretty much everything that came my way just so I could meet more people. But it looks like for all my efforts, I won't make it through unscathed after all. I can feel the darkness closing in .........

No comments: