Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my mom's birthday. She would be 66 today. I wish I had pictures on this computer to include in my post. I should hunt some down and scan them in.

Looking back, the longer I am a mom, the more I can appreciate all my mom did for us and I can see how truly blessed we were to have her for the time we did.

She gave me such a good example of parenting. She shared so much with me. My mom and I never had the tumultous relationship that so many teen girls have with their mothers. Instead - my mom and I spent many a Friday or Saturday night hanging out together, watching old re-runs or movies and talking and talking and talking. When I went to college we remained close. Just the other day I was telling my girls about the wonderful care packages my mom would send. For Valentines - everything in the package was red or pink. For St. Patrick's day - everything was green. One time a friend challenged mom to create a purple care package and mom did.

This year as I drove Audrey to and from Nutcracker rehearsals I wanted so much to be able to call mom and thank her for taking me to my Nutcracker and other dance rehearsals. Every time my girls fuss about brushing their hair or wince as I untangle it, I want to call her and apologize for doing the exact same to her.

I love you mom and I hope you and your mom and dad the angels are whooping it up today. I bet birthdays in heaven have the added benefit of calorie free cake and punch!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Totally making me cry over here...I am so thankful for the way your mom raised both you and Seth. I feel so blessed to have you both in my life. I also wish she was here, I would have loved to meet her, I just know we would have gotten along great. I know she is watching you be the awesome mom you are to all three of your girls, I bet she is so proud. I wonder if they have brag books up in Heaven...I bet she has pics of all her grandkids in hers!
Love ya!