Monday, July 21, 2008

"Tried and True" works for me!

Ok - so our summer vacation came to a screeching halt the other day and I will fully admit to being reduced to tears. We were supposed to be headed to Memphis, tried to change it to Southern Missouri and came up empty. Who knew places such as Eminence and Osage Beach would be booked solid. Have you ever heard of these places? We haven't and neither has Aunt Audrey. Oh well. So we're headed to Illinois Friday morning and we'll be coming back Saturday evening. I wish were coming back Sunday morning but ... if wishes were horses, beggars would ride, right?

So anyway - I am trying to find outfits for the memorial service that are comfortable and yet respectable. Something we can all wear to a graveside service in a tiny town but that we can also wear for an outing of some sort in Chicago. We'll check out of the hotel room in Rockford on our way to the service so we won't have much of a chance to change clothes after and we will more than likely be in these clothes until we get back to Ohio. I wanted navy blue dresses for the girls. Nothing too prim but not too raggy either. I searched and searched online and then hit TJ Maxx. Nada. Since it was right there, I decided to pop in to the old standby, Target, and voila! I find two comfy but smart looking dark denim dresses for the older girls and a sweet blue floral top for Allison that I can pair with her denim skirt. But I still hadn't found anything for me. I wanted some dark denim or black capris or blue twill cropped pants (Since I'll need something like that for my leaders uniform for AHG). All I was finding was denim that was embellished with jewels or stitching. And as for blue cropped pants?!?! ICK! All I found was old lady pants made out of the most "durable" and "sensible" fabrics AND with partial elastic in the waist. No thank you!!!! But then I thought - you know, I found some great pants by Ralph Lauren at TJ Maxx (a pair of pink capris and some ultra comfy cropped cargo pants) so maybe I should look in the Lauren section of the women's clothes at the mall. I am the dork who has always loved pretty much anything Ralph Lauren right? It's pricey but most of the summer stuff is going on sale now so ..... I hate the mall and avoid it at all costs but I was getting desperate. I took me a while to find the Lauren section and when I did, it was pretty small BUT I found some dark denim capris and a pair of black capris as well, both marked down 50%! Now I still want a new top for me and can't find one I like but I do have a few that will work just fine. While I was in Dillard's I found a great shirt for David but - I have already spent a small fortune on other stuff so I'm not sure ..... As it always is with us gals I found other deals while shopping that were just too good to pass up - a new swim suit and some new blue jeans for the fall for me from TJ Maxx, and then Carter's was having a clearance sale and Allison now has two new shirts, some shorts and two new dresses, Target had shorts on sale and Audrey only has a few pair that still fit so she ended up with two new pairs of shorts. But maybe I can find a way to pay cash for the shirt I want for David? Hmmm ....... And maybe, maybe, maybe I can find a new top for me somewhere? I actually found one at Eddie Bauer online but the nearest Eddie Bauer store is quite a trek.

Gotta tell you though, nothing like shopping for clothes to make a girl feel FAT. Honestly - this ridiculous. I have lost the weight from Allison, it is the weight I never lost from Amy and then the other 10 pounds I put on after Amy that will just not come off!!!! So I was up this morning for a quick walk in the neighborhood before David left for work and then crunches and exercises with the hand weights at home. Hopefully I can find a routine and stick with it AND do better with the eating for more than a week. I can't make it to the gym right now b/c of swim lessons and tutoring. I'm actually thinking of quitting the gym. I only make it twice a week on average and the child care grows less and less impressive each trip. What I really want is to join the YMCA. Their child care is awesome, so I hear. My new plan is to get an application from there when we get back from our trip and see what kind of job I can find. If I work there, my membership is free and I can add the kids for only $25 a month, which is what I pay at the gym now.

No comments: