Saturday, August 22, 2009

Julie and Julia


So last night I finished reading Julie and Julia. I really want to see the movie but since finding a babysitter, a free night and a movie time that works all at once is such a rare occurrence, I figured I should go ahead and read the book.

First of all - THANKS ALOT JESSICA! You read the book, you knew there were several references to AUSTIN and TEXAS. Yeah, all that was really uplifting for me ..... pbbbbbbbttt! (you know I'm teasing, well partly teasing anyway, right?)

But now I'm thinking. This girl had a blog. Just a random blog she started about this bizarre cooking project she had come up with. And lo and behold she gets followers, she gets interviews, she gets a book deal and now a movie. Could you see that happening with this blog? Ummmm, no ! What kind of movie could you make out of this??? Maybe a short lived sit com ... on some cable channel ..... that only makes it for one, possibly two seasons.

And then there's the people who followed her blog. They sent her packages in the mail. How did they get her address? Can you get mine from here? And her readers, some were family and friends but some were complete strangers. How did the strangers find her blog? Did they just randomly google stuff and hit upon it? What were they googling? Are there complete strangers reading mine? If so WHY and then how did they find it?

And one big thing I got from this book - French Food is G-R-O-S-S!!!! Ewwwww! Ick! ack! So many of the recipes she described sounded so very unappetizing. I mean, I like my butter. I don't own two Paula Deen books for nothing. So some of those butter laden recipes didn't sound too bad. But then there's the copious amounts of mayonnaise in some recipes and all the freaky meats. Not for me!

So then I was thinking, hmmm, what cookbook could I cook my way through? What could I vow to make every recipe from.... Paula Deen Celebrates? The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook? Or maybe just Southern Living, Easy Weeknight Favorites ...... Yeah, and that Julie chick thought she gained weight cooking French food! I'm thinkin' those Frenchies ain't got nuttin' on southern comfort food!

No comments: