Sunday, March 13, 2011

10 Years Ago Today .....

Ten years ago today
We became a "family"
I fell in love like I had never fallen before
My world completely changed
A very special life began

Ten years ago today my sweet, smart, kind, loving beautiful daughter Audrey Jean was born!

And here's her story:

Birth date: Tuesday, March 13, 2001

Time: 5:48am
Weight: 9lbs 5oz
Length: 20.75 inches

We were never very sure of the due date but our best guess was March 8. That day came and went and I was still pregnant and showing no signs of going in to labor any time soon. I had a doctor appointment the morning of March 12 and we scheduled an induction for March 16. At the appt the doctor stripped my membranes in hopes of maybe starting something as I was still barely dilating. I started feeling contractions around 1:00 that afternoon and by 4:00 I had paged David and told him to come home. We checked in to the hospital at 6:30 and I remember telling the nurse to go ahead and order that epidural. I let her know I had been watching plenty episodes of "A Baby Story" and I knew it took a while for those anesthesiologists to get there and I assured her I would be at 4 cm when he/she showed up. My doc laughed and checked me anyway, I was at 3 1/2 and she said they could go ahead and order it. I got my epidural, they broke my water and we waited and waited and waited. David ordered some Chinese food for himself for dinner and he and Dr. Grogono ate it together in the delivery room. I wasn't really feeling all that much like eating and I don't really like Chinese food so I didn't really care. I had suffered from pervasive nausea throughout the pregnancy and while I was in labor it was awful. I asked for some phenegren. It was NASTY - tasted like a tequila shot! Soon after taking it I was on the phone with "Aunt" Audrey when all of a sudden I told her I had to go, I was going to be sick. I then threw up what little lunch I had eaten earlier and the nurses were all amazed at the "projectile-ness". In fact, the same nurse was there when Amy was born and she remembered me!!! so embarrassing! I started pushing at 2:12am. I pushed for what felt like forever. I kept wanting to sleep and they kept making me sit up and push. At one point I asked them to turn down my epidural. I told the nurse I could not tell any difference between what she called a good push and the others. The baby's heart rate was dropping and I was exhausted and on oxygen. After pushing for more than 3 hours the decision was made to use forceps. They cranked the epidural WAY up and got busy. She was born at 5:48am. We were between Audrey and Avery for a name but leaning heavily towards Audrey. When they held her up she was so big and had such broad shoulders I knew she was not an "Avery" which can mean elf advisor. She was definitely an "Audrey" which means strong and noble. There had been meconium in my amniotic fluid and that combined with the long labor meant Audrey went straight to a neo natologist. After that she was with David while the doctors cared for me. I still think that is why he was the one who was always able to calm her down and get her to sleep as an infant.

And that is how my Audrey came in to this world!

Here she is today - posing with her pile o' presents. And these are just the FAMILY gifts!  WOW! I wish I were turning 10 today! All of these AND she also recieved a complete room makeover.  I have a few finishing touches to add there before I blog and share ...... The "Friend Party" is Friday and I am hoping to have everything in place by then ....

Where did the time go?!?!  And when did my baby become a young lady?????

No comments: