I know I have said it before but let me say it one more time. I consider finding American Heritage Girls one of the greatest blessings received from moving here. I am really hoping the girls stay involved with AHG through elementary and maybe even jr. high and I would absolutely love to see one of them go on and earn their "Stars and Stripes" (similar to an Eagle Scout award) I rode out to a council wide leaders meeting on Thursday, April 30, with our troop coordinator and I really had fun talking with her. She is one of those who became a Christian as an adult and I always love to hear those stories. I don't have one of those stories. I have been a Christian since I can remember. I can recall learning that salvation was a free gift rather than something I had to earn but I cannot recall a time when I didn't believe that Jesus died for me.
After our meeting there were desserts for everyone. We ended up sitting at the table with the gal who had prepared them. So there we sit - all enjoying our treats - and then she launches into this story ..... She starts telling us how her daughter wasn't feeling well. How she sent her to school anyway but then the girl gets sent home with a fever. Now remember, this is back on April 30, the swine flu thing is still pretty prevalent in the news. She starts describing her daughter's symptoms, fatigue ... body aches ... fever ..... she assures us that the doctor checked her daughter out and determined it was only strep but still .... Then she goes on with her story and shares how concerned she was. Her husband apparently owns or manages a restaurant and this restaurant apparently employs alot of Mexicans who travel back and forth to Mexico on a weekly basis. She goes on and on about she just knew her daughter had swine flu ... and remember, this is the woman who brought the desserts! Her husband helped make them. As soon as Deb and I were back in car she busted out the Purell - lol. Not that it would do any good but at least it made us feel a tiny bit better .....
Saturday was Camporee. What is Camporee you ask? It is like a mini-camp. AHG troops from southwest Ohio and northwest Kentucky converge on the Camp Woodland Lakes Campgrounds for a day of activities centered around a theme. This year the theme was "Toys and Games". Typically the girls end up earning a badge. The older girls act as aides and are pretty much in charge of running the activities for the day. They get there Friday night and set up and then camp out in tents over night. Saturday everyone else arrives. They split us in to groups and we rotate from activity to activity throughout the day. Everyone packs a picnic lunch but then dinner is provided in a "mess hall" and the evening ends with a campfire sing-a-long. 2nd grade and 3rd grade girls can sleep over in cabins and 4th grade and up can sleep over in tents. (and wouldn't you know it? Allison will join the troop just in time for me to move back and be her leader and not have to lead a squad that sleeps in tents. YEA!) Audrey and Amy had been looking forward to Camporee for so long but I was actually dreading it as the forecast was rather grim. However, even though it did rain the night before, Saturday was beautiful. Our shoes were muddy but at least we were dry. Here are the pictures from Camporee. Amy and I stayed through the campfire and Audrey stayed through the night with some other 2nd graders from our troop. Audrey came back Sunday afternoon exhausted but filled with good memories.
I think what I love the most about AHG is the way it gives my girls a great way to learn so many skills without worrying about maintaining a "PC" line on anything related to God and His creation. They aren't trying to force anything on anyone. They are simply letting my girls be who they are without making them feel odd or forcing them to defend their faith. I know the day will come when they will have to stand up and fight the good fight but for now - I just want to let them be children - children who love the Lord and can do it as privately or as openly as they want.
No comments:
Post a Comment