Saturday, January 10, 2009

One Step Closer .....


Friday morning I think I moved yet one step closer to becoming "that lady".

Let me preface by saying that Allison and I are both fighting a cold so I am going to bed drugged to the hilt at night only to be awakened at various moments by a sleep walking Allison who has a nasty chest rattling cough that is waking her enough to wander the halls but apparently not enough for her to be full coherent .... Friday morning David was getting ready for work, heard her coughing, realized it was not coming from her bedroom, and found her asleep on our closet floor. This was around 6:40 or so. Later I hear from Amy that Allison was in her room at some point before that playing with Amy's Polly Pockets and that Amy then watched her wander into Audrey's room.

So after that bizarre start to my day I am understandably a bit groggy and do not get up early and workout on the elliptical machine nor do I manage to squeeze in a shower before it is time for Audrey to get on the bus. And yes, I realize that we have bizarre school hours here and her bus doesn't come until 9:07 .... Remember, I had taken Benadryl and Tylenol before going to bed ... I barely managed to stay awake through the Florida-Oklahoma game ....

So there I am at 9am, on my doorstep, in the freezing cold, in my fleece jammies, bathrobe wrapped around me for warmth, coffee cup in hand, no make-up, glasses on ..... I am watching Audrey and the other kids walk to the bus stop. Carlos and his sister Sierra live next door to us - they are racing to the bus stop and having fun with each other and Carlos drops his scarf in the road. I call out that he dropped his scarf but they don't hear me. Audrey is already at the stop and calls back to them about the scarf as well. Next comes Sydney - the lone 6th grader at the bus stop. She lives at the back of the cul-de-sac. She walks past me as I am calling out to Carlos that he dropped his scarf, she walks right past the scarf and I KNOW she saw it, she walks all the way to the stop totally ignoring the whole situation. MY SWEET AUDREY notices this and even though she was the 1st kid to the stop, after she sees Sydney walk right past the scarf she yells out - "I'll go get it for you Carlos!" to which Carlos' sister says "CARLOS - tell her thank you!!!" and Carlos does. So there I am, lookin' raggy, clasping my coffee cup and thinking to myself "Darn kids today!" Yep - I think I just moved one step closer to becoming Maxine .......

No comments: