Friday, May 2, 2014

Here Goes Nothing


Well the day of my 10K is here; here tomorrow anyway.

Tomorrow morning I will be dragging my tired, old bones out of bed at 5:30 in the morning. 5:30!!!! I will more than likely have a protein energy bar and perhaps half of a banana (depends on just what that banana looks like when I peel back the peel) I will then chug what coffee I can, grab my water bottle and head to the church where I am meeting the other "church ladies" at 6:15 and off we will head to the race.

I had such grand plans ....

Don't get me wrong.
I didn't think I would be running the entire race.  I never thought I would even finish in the top half.

But as God is my witness - I really did think I would be better prepared than I am.

But when you are a single parent to 4 children who have things like dance class, and American Heritage Girl meetings, and homework (Oh the homework!!!) And then you throw in things like weather and illness and police coming to your house at 10:00 at night because some neighborhood delinquents decide to hide in YOUR bushes while they throw rocks at you neighbor's house and then HEAD LICE for crying out loud!!!!!! When that is the world you live in my friends - you don't even come close to "training".  You don't even do the bare minimum like 2 miles outdoors or on your elliptical twice a week.  When your life goes the way mine has been going lately - you just focus on surviving and not going completely insane in the process.

I toyed with the idea of backing out but decided I would stay the course and finish the race set before me.

I may get beat out by old ladies, and wheelchairs, and old ladies in wheelchairs but come heck or high water I am going to complete this 10K.

And you never know - I might just surprise myself and not be the last one to cross the finish line.  After all, this will be the first time in 13 years that I will be doing any kind of race or walk without a baby in my belly or in a stroller or Baby Bjorn.  Walking/Jogging alone???? It will be a whole new adventure for me.

No comments: