Saturday, March 3, 2012

Why I only spent 24 hours at the hospital .....

As I mentioned in my previous post - the hospital was very busy when Andrew was born.  Apparently there were more than just a few gals out there trying to deliver their babies before 2012 arrived.  We had to wait to check in and then we had to wait again to move from Labor and Delivery to Recovery.  And then when I was finally moved they told me - "We're so sorry.  The hospital is full and we don't have any more private rooms available.  You are going to have to share."  I wasn't thrilled but I figured - how bad can it be. 

Little did I know ..... little did I know.

Rather than re-write the whole saga let me just say I was "blessed" with the opportunity to share a room with a single, teen-age mom ...
I tried, I really did try to see this as an opportunity to pray for the girl but truth be told - my prayers went something like this:
"Dear Lord, please watch over this young mom and help her to turn to You rather than from You and ...
DEAR GOD GET ME OR HER OUT OF HERE ...
I mean, bless her Lord with friends and families who are strong in You and
PLEASE GOD MAKE HER TURN THAT BLASTED TV OFF ...
I mean, show me how I can be a vessel for You and ....
LORD GRANT ME PATIENCE !!!!
and so on ....

Below are the text messages that flew between me and my sister-in-law that evening:

ME 10:52: Holy cow – hospital is crowded – have to share a room tonight – pretty sure she’s single, maybe 20 years old – sounds like a gangster – God help me
JESS 10:54: I would be requesting a different room. On a different floor. Is your baby rooming in?
ME 10:55 – Yes both our babies are. There are no empty rooms
JESS 10:57 – OH geesh. Hopefully her brat doesn’t keep up sweet Andrew awake. Is her baby flashing gang signs?
ME 11:00: LOL She has a girl – father?? Maybe?? Just came in – looks all of 17 and scared crapless.  They are watching TV Land
JESS 11:01: Is there a curtain/divider?  Is David spending the night at the hospital? Is he packing – lol
ME 11:03: Now she has three visitors. All look like gangsters. There is a divider. David left – no room for him to sleep – one tiny chair. He didn’t carry today but he BETTER tomorrow
JESS 11:08: What are the visiting hours?
ME 11:08: Wish I knew…It’s 11:10 and one or more of them reeks of cigarette smoke…. I think I will cry now
JESS 11:12: Call the nurse Tell them you are trying to rest
ME 11:13: but they’ll hear everything I say…and then they’ll shoot or stab me or steal my jewelry when I fall asleep
JESS 11:15; Take baby A for a walk and nonchalantly stop by the nurse station. Drop a note on the table and quietly slide it to them J
ME 11:17: My epidural hasn’t worn all the way off yet…but when it does… we are outta here!!! She’s supposed to go home in the AM – she better!!
JESS 11:19: Just start farting and moaning in pain. I’ll call you in the AM and see how everything is going R the girls excited?
ME 11:21: Yes they are. Can’t wait for everyone to meet tomorrow. Andrew is asleep, gonna see if I can’t catch at least a few winks
JESS 11:21: K talk to you tomorrow, Kiss my nephew for me J

NEXT DAY:
JESS 10:53am: Did you get any sleep last night? Have the gangsters checked out yet??
ME 10:56am: Slept some – the gangsters kept their TV on ALL NIGHT grrrr I am currently listening to the BET Hip Hop Awards…Oh joy.  She is supposed to be checking out soon
JESS 11:02am: Well I’m sure you missed those last time around so at least now you can catch up! :/
And here are the emails that went between me and my BFF:

From Aunt Audrey:
So..... do we get to call him Andy?
And, Robert could only get a week in August off, August 13th.
I checked, A Dolphin's Tale is available!
Should I go ahead and book  :)
We can put Andy in the baby bjorn while we walk in the waves!


My reply:
You are welcome to call him Andy.
Forget your spring break plans and come here instead so the kids can meet him.
I might need to head to the beach tomorrow !!!! Hospital is packed and I have to share a room. I'm pretty sure they are gangsters. David went home b/c there was no where for him to sleep. When he comes back tomorrow he BETTER be carrying! !!!!

Her Reply:
That's hilarious ----gangsters in Ohio's farmland huh?
The reason we had babies at Presbyterian instead of the hospital at Josey and Hebron is because Prespby only had private rooms and Carrollton would try not to put two people, but if they got crowded.......

Interesting idea about spring break, ours is March 12th.   When is yours?

And he is absolutely beautiful! Good job!!!!!!

Kiss Andy from his Aunt Audrey :)

My Reply:
There are no hospitals in Liberty Township. There is a new one in West Chester but it doesn't have labor and delivery. So we are in Cincinnati - close to downtown. Definitely different from Seton!!!
Our Spring break revolves around Easter. I think we're the week after Easter this year. BUT you are more than welcome to come up in March. The kids can miss a few days :-)

So my roommate kept her tv on ALL NIGHT. I have had to listen to some vampire/werewolf show, a movie abt desert storm, Adam's Family Values, Jersey Shore... and this morning it was cartoons (b/c they are all of 18 I think) and now it is The BET Hip Hop Awards.... I am begging to be discharged TODAY so I can get some sleep.

Her Reply:
I'm laughing over my coffee.....but I'm so sorry!!!!
Yes, you need to go home so you can sleep.  And David needs to come up there in an NRA shirt soon.
I think you should tell your doctor you are over your 'urban' time limit and need to get back to your farmland.

But really, when would you have ever had the opportunity to watch the BET Hip Hop awards?  Think of this as a cultural experience?!?!?!

xoxoxox
Aud

No comments: