Monday, February 17, 2014

Snow Snow GO AWAY!!!!

It is February 17 and my yard is STILL covered in snow! There have been a few days here and there where we have had glimpses of  grass but those days have been few and far between and they certainly haven't lasted long enough for this summer loving gal.




Don't get me wrong - I am not on here to blog about how much I dislike having my kids home with me on snow days.  That really doesn't bother me. (which is a good thing because we have had EIGHT snow days this year plus one 2 hour delay and one early dismissal) It's just snow and the cold in general that bother me - it makes no difference if the kids are in school or not.

It bothers me that I have to wear waterproof shoes and boots every time I go out.  Waterproof shoes and boots might be cute the first few times you put them on but it gets old pretty quick. Yesterday was Sunday and I was so tired of trying to find outfits that looked good with boots.  I was defiant and I wore loafers without socks ... and my feet were freezing ...... And don't even get me started on the unpleasant task of deciding between sweater or sweatshirt every - single - day.  I am so tired of sweaters and sweatshirts I could scream.

It bothers me that when the kids get rambunctious I can't say, "If you want to be that loud, if you want to play like that - go do it outside!" And yes, I know there are those who will say they can go outside in this weather but: That means I have to help them hunt down everything they need for playing in the snow. It means I have to help get gloves or mittens on the younger two and then help them zip their coats because they have on gloves or mittens and can't grab the zipper.  It means my house will eventually have a trail of wet soggy winter coats, hats, gloves, scarves, and boots at every doorway and eventually there will be white rims of salt around dried puddles all over the place.

It bothers me that anytime we leave the house to go anywhere we all need coats.  I have enough trouble just getting the kids in the car with whatever they need for the errand we are running as well as everything I need and everything the two year old might decide he needs.  Add making sure everyone has a coat and we're looking at 45 minutes of prep just to go to one store! And LORD help me if we get to the store and the parking lot is so covered in piles of plowed snow that there aren't any decent parking spots and the kids are finding plenty of snow to stomp through, slide on and throw at each other instead of just walking into the store.  When winter comes - I am a big fan of online shopping.  If I could get someone to deliver milk and eggs, I might not ever leave the house.

It bothers me that I now have a stack of soft drink 12 packs in the corner of my family room.  Soft drinks are something I try to only buy when they are on sale.  So when they are on sale, I stock up.  I usually keep this supply in my garage but since it has been so cold this winter, I have been forced to move my stash indoors to prevent them from freezing and then exploding all over my garage.

It bothers me that if I am going to exercise I have to find a way to do it indoors.  It is so much easier when I can put the two year old in the stroller and hit the walking trails. It is so much easier to give the kids some toys or some garden tools and let them work and play alongside me as I do the yard work and gardening that I love.  It is DEFINITELY much more difficult to try to squeeze in a 30 minute workout video or 30 minutes on the elliptical with an inquisitive audience right by my side .......

And it bothers me that the sky is always so drab and dreary.  Colorado has blue skies and puffy clouds and snow - why can't we have that here?????

So there's a chance for rain/snow/sleet/ice tonight - they can't make up their minds as to which it will be.  I am praying that it is only rain and that rain starts to wash away some of the mountains of snow covering the landscape. Won't you join me in my prayers?

No comments: