I am just too old to get this little sleep!
Y-A-W-N
It all started with the laundry.... I meant to put it in earlier - I did,. But there was church and there was lunch and then I remembered that I hadn't done what I needed to do for today's American Heritage Girl meeting. I needed to get some books from the library and print some pictures for the 5th grade unit that I lead. I needed to help my 2nd grade daughter prepare information about her pet so she could share it with her unit and I needed to print a picture of the pet as well.
And then the two year old was fighting nap ... again .....
By the time the two year old was asleep - it was time to run errands with my hubby. We don't get much time together lately so as odd as it sounds - we were both looking forward to running errands together. We hit the library and the post office and then stopped at Walmart so I could print my pictures and we could pick up a few things for dinner. Normally I do all the food shopping but since my husband pretty much eats cereal or Ramen noodles every night when he is in Nashville, I wanted to make sure he picked what he wanted for dinner Sunday night.
While we were at Walmart - the 5th grader called to let me know the two year old was awake and ask when we would be home.
Back home I had about an hour to get the two year old happy, get the kitchen cleaned in advance of dinner, and remind the girls that homework needed to be attended to because there was actually no new snow on the roads and they would be attending their various youth activities at the church that evening. (For the record - NO ONE listened to me regarding the homework and the older two were cramming things in late last night and early this morning)
In all the flurrying around I did get one load in the washer but ....
When I got to the church I saw a friend and convinced her we should ditch our parental responsibilities and go chit-chat and catch up at a nearby restaurant while the kids did the church thing.
So when we got home at 7:30 I had one wet load that needed to go in the dryer, one load that needed to go in the washer, dinner that needed to be prepared, eaten, and cleaned up and of course one more lecture about completing homework to orate ....
(God bless my husband for preparing the dinner and making sure I had a full wine glass throughout ...)
As a result - I was up until 11:30 waiting for a load in the dryer to finish drying so I could get my husband's work pants and a few other articles from that load and ready for him to throw into a suitcase early this morning,
I fell in bed around midnight
At 1:26 the second grader woke me up to tell me she couldn't sleep because of the wind - there were 50 mile and hour gusts off and on last night and it was very loud.
This in turn woke my husband up who then discovered the two year old who was sleeping in his arms had peed through his diaper.
So I led the 2nd grader back to bed and told her to do her best to sleep and that I'd be back in a bit to check on her.
I changed the sleeping two year old into a dry diaper and dry jammies.
Holding the two year old in my arms I prayed with the 2nd grader asking God to calm the winds or at the very least allow her to sleep through them.
I then put the two year old gingerly in his own bed,
Back in my room I stripped the bed while a grumpy husband laid on his pillows on the floor.
I then remade the bed - sort of - nothing was straight or tucked in as I was not exactly functioning at full capacity at this point.
I took the wet sheet and wet mattress pad downstairs and loaded them in the washer
Back in bed my husband - noticing there was no longer a two year old in our bed - decided to move a little closer for some cuddling and well .....
I think I finally fell asleep somewhere around 2:30? 3:00?
Only to have my husband's alarm go off at 4am.
Since the wind was still howling, he decided to delay his departure which meant I go to hear his alarm go off twice more.
At some point I must have slipped into a semi-coma because next thing I know it is 5:55 and my alarm is going off. I groggily hit the wrong button on the alarm clock which then necessitates the resetting of the alarm. I also realize my husband is still in my bed. For a fleeting moment I think maybe the roads are so bad somewhere between here and Nashville that he is staying home. All hope is dashed when he tells me he's just going in way later than usual ....
I want to hit the snooze the max amount of times but the 7th grader needs to be dropped off at school the second the doors open so she can retrieve and complete an assignment she was unable to email to herself .... That means I only get to hit the snooze once .......
So here I am - functioning (if we can call it that) on what? 3? hours of sleep.
Please Lord Please let the two year old think an early nap would be GREAT today so I can maybe catch a few winks with him before the the 7th grader gets home ......

No comments:
Post a Comment